Saturday, November 17, 2012

THE AUDACITY OF PREACHING



I am currently teaching a course called NEW TESTAMENT FOUNDATIONS as an adjunct instructor for Winebrenner Theological Seminary.  The course is provided as part what is known as the Pastoral Training Institute.  Essentially, the bulk of my students , who are currently involved in secular professions, are pursuing the goal of becoming local church pastors. 

Each time I teach this course, I begin with these words to those who would presume to be pastors and teachers, who will occupy pulpits and classrooms to connect people with the Bible and its revelatory truth for humankind.  In many ways, there is a certain audacity to preaching that must be grounded in obedient humility. These are the four things I tell them:

You are the Servant of this Book … it is God’s Holy Word
Remember what else is called the Word.  Jesus Christ.   Karl Barth called the Bible the Word of God Written to distinguish it from Jesus Christ, the Word become flesh.  With that in mind, remember ---

It is not your tool. You are its servant … This is a sacred book, to be held in highest esteem.
“Do your best to present yourself as one approved, a workman who does not need to ve ashamed and correctly handles the word of truth.” – 2 Timothy 2.15

It is truth and points men and women to the Truth—Jesus Christ-the Truth Who sets us free. (Henry Blackaby “Truth is a person.”)

Never underestimate its impact and its power.
“… so is my word that goes out of my mouth: It will not return to me empty. but will I accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” – Isaiah 55:11

No comments:

Post a Comment